"Miss Andrews Class" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Subject: Weekly Update 11/30-12/4
Date: December 1st 2015
Below you will find resources aimed at extending your child's education at home.
1.A copy of this week's DMR/DLR is attached to this email. We officially finished our Computation: Multiplication & Division unit before Thanksgiving Break. We will still be covering skills related to multiplication, division and place value through the DMR/DLR. This week, we've begun our Fractions unit with equivalent fractions. Please remember, the majority of your child's math grade is derived from the DMR quiz grades. For students asked to complete a math project, the project grade is the equivalent of two DMR quiz grades.
2. PLEASE practice math facts at home. Fourteen students have beaten the multiplication Math Fact Challenge and nine have beaten division Math Fact Challenge. Keep practicing at home, it's showing through in the kids' work and attitudes! The last day to try the first Math Fact challenge, for the first semester, is Wed., Dec. 9. The pizza party to honor those that have conquered the first math fact challenge will be held Friday, December 11.
3. In reading, we continue with our unit of fiction. This week we are studying Fables.
4. Vocabulary is suspended for the rest of the semester to make way for Science in class. During the third and fourth quarter, the same will occur. We'll do Vocabulary for half the quarter, then Science/Social Studies for the second half.
5. This week in Science, we are diving deeper into the study of Mars. Using our knowledge of perimeter, area and volume, students will complete a project related to Mars.
6. Remember homework is due at the end of the week. If there are extenuating circumstances, please email me or send a note. Otherwise the packet of daily assignments need to be completed, checked and signed by a parent/guardian and returned on Friday. No homework=no recess, no parent/guardian signature=no recess. I respect that my students have lives outside of school with practices, appointments, and other unexpected events, therefore, I do not collect homework everyday.
7. THANK YOU to those that have sent in canned goods with your child. You are greatly supporting our student council in their efforts to help out the community. The food drive will last until December 16. Thirteen students have brought in canned food thus far.
8. The weather is ever changing. As the colder months approach, please note, that we are able to go outside if the temperature is 26 degrees or higher with no precipitation.
9. Finally, Winter Break begins Friday, Dec. 18 thru Jan 4.
<< Previous: Weekly Update 11/16-11/20
| Archive Index |
Next: Weekly Update 12/7-12/11 >>